In support of our commitment to quality care, we conduct site visits with providers that receive a high volume of referrals from Magellan or that receive referrals of members from client companies that require provider site visits.
Magellan conducts site visits at individual and group practices, and at organizations, to directly assess office environment, practice management, and record-keeping practices. Licensed Magellan clinicians conduct all clinical aspects of the site visit. We may conduct visits at initial credentialing for participation in Magellan’s network and on other occasions as determined by quality or clinical reviews.
Site visits may include (but are not limited to) a review of the following:
- Procedures for appointment access
- Availability of care in emergencies
- Treatment record-keeping practices
- Documentation in member records
- Documentation of contact with primary care physician (when authorized by the member)
- Disclosure of member information and procedures
- Physical aspects of the facility
- Appointment activity for Magellan members
- Documentation of regular clinical supervision (when appropriate)
- Compliance with Magellan credentialing requirements
- Member safety plan.
You can find our policies related to site visits in the Magellan National Provider Handbook, section 4.