Medical Necessity Criteria
Do you have a comment or suggestion on how we can improve our Medical Necessity Criteria? We want to hear from you. Please print and complete our comment form (PDF), and fax, mail, or e-mail it to the address on the form. Or simply write us a letter. Either way, your feedback will be considered during our annual Medical Necessity Criteria review.
Medical Necessity Criteria -- 2015 (effective January 1, 2015) (PDF)
Medical Necessity Criteria -- 2014 (effective January 1, 2014) (PDF)
Medical Necessity Criteria -- 2013 (effective January 1, 2013) (PDF)
State-Specific and Client Requirements
Specific state laws and client requirements may require modified medical necessity criteria. If you have members in care under any of the benefit plans, in any of the states, or employed by any of the employers requiring modified criteria, please refer to the appropriate medical necessity criteria below. For more information on the use of the below criteria, please contact the medical director at your Magellan Care Management Center.
American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) - substance abuse criteria for:
- Independence Blue Cross and its affiliates' covered members in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware
- Capital Blue Cross covered members
- Pennsylvania HealthChoices' child and adolescent members
- Other customers throughout the country
Applied Behavior Analysis Medical Necessity Criteria
- Magellan covers applied behavior analysis (ABA) when state-mandated or when ABA is specifically included in a customer's benefit plan. View a list of current plans with coverage (PDF).
- Magellan's national ABA criteria can be found in Magellan's Medical Necessity Criteria (PDF).
- For Fully Insured Maryland Regulated Accounts, use Outpatient Applied Behavior Analysis - Fully Insured Maryland Regulated Accounts guidelines (PDF).
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan -- Medical Necessity may be accessed by logging in to the BCBSM provider portal on web DENIS. Once logged in to web DENIS,
- Click on BCBSM Provider Publications and Resources
- Click on Newsletters and Resources
- Click on Clinical Criteria and Resources
- Click on 2015 updated Magellan Behavioral Health Medical Necessity Criteria under Resources
Blue Shield of California -- Blue Shield of California -- Human Affairs International of California (HAI-CA) has adopted Magellan’s Medical Necessity Criteria (located at the top of this page) with the exception of specific Neuropsych Testing Medical Necessity Guidelines.
California Medical Necessity Criteria - The Magellan California subsidiaries, Human Affairs International of California and Magellan Health Services of California, Inc. -- Employer Services, have adopted Magellan's Medical Necessity Criteria (located at the top of this page).
Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) Medical Necessity Criteria (PDF) -- criteria to guide providers to the most appropriate level of care for CHAMPVA members.
Maryland Medical Necessity Criteria for Residential Crisis Services – criteria for residential crisis services for adults, adolescents and children whose insurance is written out of the state of Maryland.
Nebraska Medicaid Managed Care Program (NMMCP) and Nebraska Medical Assistance Program (NMAP) - you can find medical necessity criteria for serving these members in the appendix of Magellan's Provider Handbook Supplement for NMMCP and NMAP.
North Carolina Definition of Medically Necessary Services or Supplies – for North Carolina providers, this definition replaces Magellan’s definition in Magellan’s Medical Necessity Criteria and provider agreements.
Pennsylvania HealthChoices – information on medical necessity criteria for providers serving members of the HealthChoices Program in Pennsylvania can be found in the Pennsylvania HealthChoices provider handbook supplement and its applicable appendices.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Privileging Criteria (PDF) -- Providers must meet the specified requirements for treatment of Major Depression using Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS).
State of Texas Standards for Reasonable Cost Control and Utilization Review for Chemical Dependency Treatment–criteria for all alcohol and substance abuse treatment services provided to members whose benefit plans are written in Texas.
Yale University (PDF) -- Medical necessity criteria for members enrolled with Yale Health Plan.